The Bible contains hundreds of prophecies foretelling the birth of Jesus the Messiah. What’s more, Jesus fulfilled every single messianic prophecy.
Have you ever wondered what the mathematical odds of a single individual fulfilling just eight of these specific prophecies? Scholarly mathematician Dr. Peter Stoner explored this question in great detail. Here’s what he discovered:
- The Messiah would come from the tiny town of Bethlehem (see Matthew 2:1).
- The Messiah would have a forerunner (see Matthew 3:11).
- The Messiah would enter Jerusalem as a king riding on a donkey (see John 12:15).
- The Messiah would be betrayed by a friend and wounded as a result (see Luke 22:47–48).
- The Messiah would be betrayed for exactly thirty pieces of silver (see Matthew 26:15).
- The Messiah’s betrayer would throw down his blood money in the temple, and it would become the potter’s possession (see Matthew 27:3, 10).
- The Messiah would be an innocent, beaten man whose life is on the line, yet he would remain silent when offered a chance to defend himself (see Matthew 26:63, 67–68).
- The Messiah would be crucified (see Luke 23:23).
Professor Stoner calculated the likelihood of any one man fulfilling all eight predictions to be one chance in a hundred million billion. How many is that? If you spread a hundred million billion silver dollars across the state of Texas – blanketing it two feet deep – a blindfolded man would have similar odds of selecting, on his first attempt, a specially marked coin from the pile!
Now do you understand why you can have hope in Jesus … why He is the one and only anchor you will ever need?
Jesus is God; therefore, Jesus is sovereign over all storms, over all circumstances in your life. As the Psalmist proclaimed, “He is my loving God and my fortress, my stronghold and my deliverer, my shield, in whom I take refuge” (Psalm 144:2).
June Hunt, M.A. Criswell College, is a biblical counselor whose award-winning radio program “Hope For The Heart” is heard on 900 radio outlets around the world. For more than 25 years, she has counseled people, offering them hope for today’s problems. June has helped many people with emotional, relational, and spiritual problems experience God’s love through biblical hope and practical help. Click here to find out more about Hope for the Heart Book Series.