Isn’t it wonderful to be able to speak to the Lord? Throughout the week, we’ve been celebrating God’s gift of prayer and communion with us by blogging daily about prayer. For those just learning to pray or those looking for a fresh perspective on prayer, I want to share with you what the Bible says about what and how Jesus prayed…
Verses in the New Testament demonstrate what Jesus prayed about and he sets examples for us. As you read through them, think about your personal equivalents. Maybe you don’t have disciples, but you do have children or a congregation or a Bible study that you lead. Most of us may never see persecution on a cross, but we can pray for the persecuted church and for ourselves in times of trial.
- Prayed for his disciples. John 17:9
- Prayed for the children. Matthew 19:13
- Praised the Father in prayer. Matthew 11:25
- Prayed for himself. John 17:1
- Prayed for Simon Peter. Luke 22:32
- Prayed that his Father’s will be done. Matthew 26:39; Luke 22:42
- Thanked the Father in prayer. John 11:41; Luke 24:30
- Asked the Father to forgive sinners. Luke 23:34a
- Prayed with his last words on the cross. Luke 23:46
How Jesus Prayed
Jesus took time to pray to God the Father. Jesus “often withdrew to lonely places and prayed” (Luke 5:16) and he would pray (and fast) for long stretches of time (Luke 6:12). From these verses, we get to see how Jesus prayed. Although we are to pray to God “continuously” throughout the day, it is also important to set time aside for prayer. Ask yourself:
- Where am I least likely to get distracted?
- Is this a quiet place?
- Are there a lot of people around?
“And it came to pass in those days, that he went out into a mountain to pray, and continued all night in prayer to God.” (Luke 6:12)
Set up a time to withdraw to a quiet place for prayer. Pick a place not frequented by people and distractions. Use this time to not just talk to God, but to also listen. Reflect on Ps. 46:10:
“Be still and know that I am God.”
Want to build a good prayer habit? Download our FREE 14-Day Prayer Plan